The time is 1859 and pagers all through the ICU start to chirp. It’s time: Tube O’clock. This straightforward and straightforward protocol was designed to make sure every affected person is tubed NO SOONER than 5 minutes earlier than dying or one hour after finish of Nursing shift. All pending intubations will now happen at 0700 & 1900:
– 1900: Intern to strategy nurse starting shift report and state, “We’re intubating affected person proper now”. Ought to nurse have questions, redirect to resident.
– 1903: Resident to reply on eighth name from nurse. Redirect nurse to Fellow ought to nurse have questions.
– 1904: Fellow to reply nurse’s name and instantly ask why Respiratory isn’t in room. Nurse might have questions on which meds to attract up or in the event you’re within the affected person’s room. Give your first spherical of orders now, whereas briskly strolling away from affected person’s room and out of plain sight.
Excessive Yield: Be sure you have a second spherical of orders to provide when the group is gowned and in affected person’s room.
– 1920: For enjoyable, attempt intubating affected person in ascending order of supplier expertise.
Excessive Yield: Time is in your aspect!
– 1945: Web page anesthesia overhead
– 1950: Affected person intubated by anesthesia. Promptly depart to reverse aspect of unit; DO NOT substitute your depleted cellphone battery till you may have situated graham crackers & peanut butter as your reward.
– 2000: Code 7/19 Full! Ensure that to ask the nurse you’ve been working with all day if he’s on Nights now, whereas he furiously charts mentioned Code 7/19.
– 2001: Mentally put together to be uninvited from subsequent week’s potluck and for a number of pages requesting Tylenol orders.