The American Hospital Affiliation, the American Medical Affiliation, and the American Nurses Affiliation issued a joint launch as we speak urging well being care professionals to “to get the COVID-19 vaccine and share your expertise with others.”
“Whereas the arrival of vaccines is sweet information within the combat to defeat COVID-19, it doesn’t sign an instantaneous finish to our nation’s struggling. Simply as we have now been pushing for adoption of the precautions everyone knows work – masking, hand hygiene and bodily distancing – we should additionally push for prime charges of vaccination inside the U.S. inhabitants if we hope to beat this virus. This may require belief within the COVID vaccination course of, from the event, distribution and administration of a protected and efficient vaccine in addition to a keen public to get vaccinated….As frontline caregivers, our important function in defending the well being and wellbeing of our communities goes past the care we offer. As a valued and trusted voice, our instance is maybe the strongest well being useful resource we have now.”
Right here is my story.
I used to be extraordinarily lucky to be among the many first group of suppliers at our hospital to get vaccinated on Wednesday. (The highest canines acquired the vaccine on Tuesday!} I had no qualms about getting it. I examine it, talked to consultants and was offered. Just a few key factors:
- You possibly can’t get COVID from the shot. It comprises no useless virus or attenuated (weakened virus.) Corona virus consists of 25 proteins; the vaccine tells the physique to make one protein.
- The mRNA can’t mess along with your DNA. It enters the cell, however not the nucleus. MRNA viruses have been given safely to most cancers sufferers for years with out main points.
- Whereas vaccines sometimes take for much longer to approve, because of advances in expertise, together with the mapping of the human genome, nice strides had been potential. Pink tape was eliminated, funding was plentiful, the perfect minds labored on it, and most significantly, no shortcuts had been taken within the last scientific portion of the trial. Over 70,000 doses of the vaccines got to folks earlier than approval and impartial security boards discovered no main issues.
- The vaccine is 95% efficacious.
- My man Dr. Fauci says it’s ok for him, so it’s ok for me.
For these searching for extra details, right here’s a superb hyperlink from Insurgent-EM on the Pfizer Vaccine, which is the one I obtained:
COVID-19 Replace: The COVID-19 Pfizer Vaccine
I obtained the shot at midday on Wednesdays and as I write now over thirty hours later, I’ve had no fever, no aches and no fatigue. I didn’t really feel the needle go in and I didn’t bleed. As soon as within the evening after I lay on my left shoulder, I might really feel I had a shot there. As soon as, I had a 5 second shiver, however that was on account of an disagreeable thought. I used to be going to take it straightforward as we speak, however we had a Nor’easter final evening that dumped greater than a foot of snow on us, and with the wind drifts, nearly buried my automobile within the driveway. For my 25th work anniversary reward (we get to select it from a catalog), I selected my first ever snow blower, which I assembled final evening. Sadly, The storm was an excessive amount of for it. It wasn’t very highly effective, and crapped out earlier than my driveway was a 3rd executed. I grabbed the guide shovel and like John Henry, I confirmed the machine who was the person.
I did have some assist from my youngest daughter.
Nonetheless feeling good, I’m able to hit the streets tomorrow. COVID remains to be on the market, and I don’t suppose the vaccine kicks in absolutely for per week or so (I should get a booster in 21 days) however I might be armed with my masks and PPE and be able to do my job.
I hope everybody will get an opportunity to get the vaccine quickly and that they are going to act on it. Shield your self. Shield your loved ones and defend your group. That’s what we do in EMS. It’s our job.
Peace to all and a center finger to COVID.
Additionally, many grateful props to the scientists who developed the vaccine and all who helped make it a actuality. Thanks.