Ought to the US have a proper, centralized well being know-how evaluation (HTA) group? In the UK, the Nationwide Institute for Well being and Care Excellence (NICE) performs this roles and has a major affect on drug pricing within the UK. Nevertheless, the UK depends on a single payer system and NICE’s suggestions could be straight applied into the Nationwide Well being Service (NHS) protection suggestions and value negotiations. Would such a company work in a decentralized system just like the U.S?
A white paper from the USC Schaeffer Heart, argues that an HTA coordinating physique–which they identify Institute for Well being Know-how Evaluation (IHTA)–may serve this goal. The authors argue that IHTA may complement–however not substitute–personal HTA actions by teams equivalent to ICER, IVI, pharmaceutical producers, and payers. The panel argues that shifting some funding from the personal to the general public sector, there could also be some value financial savings attributable to a discount of duplicative a number of efforts inside the present HTA ecosystem. The panel presents 6 suggestions for the way IHTA might be applied.
- Suggestion 1: Non-public HTA efforts ought to be inspired.
- Suggestion 2: The U.S. ought to set up a publicly funded HTA coordinating entity, the Institute for Well being Know-how Evaluation (IHTA), to help HTA past particular person personal efforts and to guage the standard of HTAs performed by such organizations
- Suggestion 3: IHTA-conducted and -approved experiences ought to embody an financial analysis with findings introduced in a disaggregated format.
- Suggestion 4: HTA ought to be performed throughout a broad array of applied sciences and healthcare companies—new and outdated—together with medication, gadgets, diagnostics, procedures and public well being interventions.
- Suggestion 5: A stakeholder engagement course of ought to present enter to the priorities and actions of the IHTA.
- Suggestion 6: The U.S. ought to implement insurance policies that enable an advisory-only HTA group to have an effect on decision-making.
A key problem is how a lot energy such an IHTA physique would have. The panel argues that IHTA can be advisory at first. “CMS be required to think about (however not required to make use of) IHTA experiences in its Medicare protection choices.” The IHTA concept might greatest steadiness the necessity for HTA oversight and coordination with permitting for a various set of personal HTA to proceed to perform inside the U.S.’s present, decentralized well being care system.